The dojo offers the possibility to wildly explore rope art together. To do so we need to establish a common culture and behavior. The following lists contain the strict rules and guidelines of our dojo. The main goal is to build a common behavior and to make you understand our philosophy and the direction we are working towards.
Some items should be common sense, while others are personal choices made to create a particular atmosphere.
GENERAL RULES FOR THE YOROI DOJO :
- You need to be at least 18 years old to attend any Yoroi Dojo event.
- There is a cat inside the space, please be kind and delicate with him. Take your disposition if needed.
- Ropes, blindfolds, and bamboos will be the only accepted accessories.
- Pictures, videos, and sound recordings are not permitted to be made at any time. (Drawing is very welcome)
- No drinks or food on the tatamis.
- Do not change or add any suspension points nor move any equipment in the dojo without preliminary authorisation.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly forbidden during any activity at the dojo.
- It is forbidden to smoke inside the dojo; an ashtray is available outside.
- Ropes will be lent to those who do not have their own. Please do not use lent ropes as crotch ropes, mouth ropes, or in any way that will dirty them; if it happens, then please isolate the ‘dirty’ ropes and tell the organisers.
- The organisers reserve the right to remove or refuse access to the location, at any time without explanation.
- Any participant must state that they are aware of this set of rules and accepts them
JAM SPECIFIC RULES :
- The space is dedicated for practice, socialization, and being with others who enjoy our art.
- You are very welcome to come alone: to discover, watch, meet, or try,
- This is not PEER rope, so please refrain from giving tuition during the Jam (even to a friend).
- There will be fruits, vegetables, and sometimes cake or salty desh; feel free to help yourself.
- There will be herbal tea and tea in the space too – feel free to help yourself.
- Please, if you have any allergy, then tell the organizers.
- Suspension, Rope Neck or any other risky practice will be allow only to people who has been train by a well know Teacher/Presenter/Sensei. And practice as you own risk !
- Practice ropes do not require any specific dress, so be yourself : all kinds of clothing are accepted. (Unless you are wearing clothing that could harm our tatami)
- But as many body activities cause sweat, wearing non-slippery clothing could be wise.
- Toplessness is welcome, bottomless forbidden. Panties/Briefs/Boxer shorts/etc…. please keep them on.
- Out of respect for our neighbors, upon your arrival or departure, please be quiet and wear city clothing. (this includes temporarily going outside for a smoke).
- Leave your shoes and coats at the entrance area and put your bags on the designated shelves. A place will be available to change your clothes.
STUDY SPECIFIC RULES :
- No topless : for any gender unless is clearly promoted (Season workshop and Week-end could Be Topless)
- Be a Pair/Duo – Of course not for the switch classes (One Day to Stat – One week for switch)
- Have your home material – Not necessary for the One day to start but Welcome
- Arrived between 15 minutes before the start of the tuition and the Start. (Please not Before we need time to Setup up)
- No Recording : Song, Photo and Video ! Be present ! (Note and drawing are accepted)
- When the Educator ask to untied please start right away. any delay you are disturbing the classes and other participant.
- Please check Yoroï Nicolas study information and website to know if you feel comfortable and compatible first. Or the presenter information support to know if you are comfortable and compatible with.
- Every session or study is based on consent. We generally use “STOP” when a session has to be immediately stopped and “No” when a participant is doing something non-consensual/feeling dangerous/… and they need to change their action or behaviour. For people who like to use “NO” and “Stop” in a theatrical way, we advise to use “YELLOW” and “RED”.
- Please, if you use other codes or have a consensual-non-consent relationship, then please let space manager/presenter/helper know in advance.
- In the rope space (play space) please avoid having long conversations or keep the volume very low (out of respect for the others in the space).
- On the tatami, please avoid any conversation that is not related to the particular rope exchange happening at the time.
- Please, do not use your phone in the rope space and put it on silent mode as ringing or vibrations might disturb others.
- Respect other people’s personal space. Do not interrupt any scenes that you are not part of. Do not touch other people or their belongings (e.g. ropes) without permission.
- When you watch a session do it at a reasonable distance as to not be intrusive. (except in an emergency situation)
- Beverage and food are strictly prohibited on the tatami.
- Please take your garbage with you. Do not let them in our space.
- It’s forbidden to touch, grab, or use somebody’s material without asking first.
- Politics/Religion/etc. can be softly expressed and discussed, but please don’t forget that the dojo is about rope study and if you have the urge to debate, then there are a lot of nice coffee places around.
- Do not hesitated to ask for help (to release, support, untie, or get help with any stressful situation) at any moment as a person who is tying or as a person who is getting tied.
- Any participant has to make himself available to help somebody else in case of an emergency. (Meaning, in particular, in case of emergency and for the sake of emergency, anybody can be touched by anybody)
- But too many people are also counterproductive or stressful, for example, in an emergency suspension situation; generally, a good way to do it is:
- Have one person to unload the weight
- Have one person to undo the suspension line
- Have one person who is preparing water and a cover for the person in rope.
- While the person in rope is safe, please leave space for both them and their partner to process the situation (unless requested otherwise).
SPACE MANAGER // PRESENTER // HELPER :
- They are here to contribute to a long term, good atmosphere, creativity, and safety.
- Please follow their guidance and ask them about any doubts you may have.
- They are, by definition, part of your session; your session is in the Dojo and they manage the place, so they have the right to ask you to stop or confirm that everything is okay if they have any doubts.
- Even if you are not a space manager/presenter/helper but you have some experience in our dojo as part of the dojo, then please help newcomers and be present for any bad behaviour or emergency situation.
The list will certainly be updated regularly and evolve. (Last update 2021.06.08)